Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (http://www.fordmustangforum.net/index.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.fordmustangforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Cleaning & Detailing Tips (http://www.fordmustangforum.net/showthread.php?t=19)

Big'Un 09-18-2011 11:57 AM

Cleaning & Detailing Tips

10 Tips for cleaning your Stang

Keeping your Mustang shiny and in good condition should be a top priority. The following are a few tips from the pros. In all, maintaining your Mustang’s finish is an easy task. By washing the car regularly, and immediately addressing any issues such as bird droppings, you can keep your Mustang shining for many years to come.

1. Clean the Interior First
Always clean the inside of your Mustang before you clean the outside. Reason being, dirt and junk from inside your car can get all over your freshly cleaned exterior in a heart beat. (Unless, of course, you want to wait an hour or so for the car's exterior to dry.)

2. Use Newspaper to Clean the Windows
For streak-free windows, try crumpling up a piece of newspaper and using it to dry the surface instead of using the standard paper towel or shop rag. I use standard ammonia-based car window cleaner on my Mustang’s windows, although a few people have told me vinegar (three parts vinegar to one part water) works wonders as a substitute over standard glass cleaner. As for the newspaper, I've tried this and the results were top notch (and streak free).

3. Wear the Right Clothes
BE CAREFUL what you wear when you clean your Mustang. All it takes is one sharp edge, such as a zipper or belt buckle, to damage a perfectly good paint job.

4. Dry it Off Immediately to Avoid Water Spots
Don't let your Mustang sit around after you've rinsed it off. The sooner you dry the car, the less likely you are to have WATER SPOTS. Once you have water spots on your Mustang, they are hard to get off. If your car already has water spots, give this vinegar treatment a shot.

5. Never Wash or Wax When the Surface is Hot
NEVER wash or wax your Mustang in direct sunlight or when the car's surface is hot. The heat can, and will, cause your soap or wax to dry too quickly. This can cause water spotting when washing. Worse yet, it can damage the car's paint job, which is exactly the opposite of what you're hoping to achieve.

6. Be Careful Where you Put Your Protectant
NEVER EVER put Armor All, or a similar type product, on your Mustang's steering wheel, pedals, or other components you need to use when driving. I know this sounds like common sense, but I've met my fair share of folks who have done this, only to find out they couldn't grip the wheel or hit the brakes when out on the road. It's dangerous and, well, it's just stupid.

7. Use a Wet Paintbrush or Toothbrush to Clean Tight Spaces
When CLEANING TIGHT SPACES on your Mustang, such as around the grille or in small crevices, try using a soft paintbrush or a wet toothbrush. I've found this to be extremely helpful when trying to remove dead bugs from the grille after a road trip. If you use a wet paintbrush, MAKE SURE to cover the metal band on the brush with some tape so you don't scratch your paint!

8. Clean Your Windshield Wiper Blades
Don't forget to CLEAN YOUR WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADES, at least once a month, with soapy water while washing your car. This can prevent them from smearing your clean windshield and can increase their longevity. Some people recommend wiping down each blade, once or twice, with a rag soaked with a little white vinegar.

9. Remove Bird Droppings with Seltzer Water
Pour Seltzer water on bird droppings, wait for the sizzle, then wipe them away with a soft cloth. Whatever you do, don’t use club soda or tonic. Seltzer water only!

10. Detail Your Mustang Regularly
Detail your Mustang REGULARLY. I clean mine once a week, sometimes twice if it rains and I need to clean the road grime off. It doesn't take much to keep your Mustang looking good. It does take a lot, however, to get a worn looking exterior to look nice.